16.6.12

Blogging from an iPad: A Beginner's Guide!

Soooo, my loved ones were extremely generous on my birthday this year and clubbed together to get me an iPad 3! I am IN LOVE with it. Whether or not I'd be able to blog effectively from it was a really big factor in me deciding to get an iPad, and articles online made it sound like it was not easy. But (with the help of recommendations from Twitter peeps) I have found a few things that have made blogging super easy and enjoyable from the iPad!

I'll show you my 'kit' first, then move onto a review of Blogsy, an amazing blogging app.

First up is this incredible invention which I had no idea existed until Alex stumbled upon it on eBay (and will silence iPad naysayers that whine about the lack of USB ports...). It's a 5 in 1 connection kit which you can put USB leads/sticks and also camera memory cards into! It only cost £2.29 and will be perfect for blogging on the go, as I can take it on the train with me and take my camera pics directly off it.

Next up, the case. @Little_Nells recommended this one to me on Twitter. It's £14.99 down from £50 and is apparently a dupe of Apple's own cases. It's super streamlined and the top can be folded in different ways to make a stand (great for watching movies or blogging, depending on which way round you stand it!)

(This angle is great for blogging on a surface, which I will be in the train!)

Onto Blogsy! Their how-to vids will go into more detail about this £2.99 app than I could possibly blog, so they are well worth a watch if you're interested in the app. It's basically a publishing application that lets you compose blog posts for Wordpress, Blogger and Tumblr. It has all the usual formatting options, but has incredible icons down the side of the publishing interface which let you open Safari/Picasa/Flickr/YouTube/your Photostream and drag and drop images straight into the blog post! The ability to browse Safari in-app is so useful for adding hyperlinks into posts as I have in this (this post has been created entirely with Blogsy!)

One hiccup I did have was that some images I was dragging and dropping from my Photostream were low res, but brainiac @TheSammersaurus told me that all you need to do is switch the HTML screen and change the 's500' towards the end if the image code to 's800' or 's1024' (which I use). A bit of a faff but in the grand scheme of how mind-blowingly awesome this app is, it's something I can live with. @BlogsyApp saw me discussing this problem on Twitter and have asked me to email them about it, so I shall and hopefully it will be fixed in an update some time! They are really sweet on Twitter and always reply to tweets and thank people praising this app. It deserves praise as it puts Blogger's own app to shame!

Here's how it looks:


I didn't want to bombard you guys with an actual tutorial as it's a bit of a niche topic, but do feel free to ask any questions in the comments and I'll reply to them!

Ooh, a note about the iPad itself: Alex bought it on the university Apple store, which meant he got 3% discount (oh Apple, u so generous) and it has 1 year's free Apple Care! If you're a student (or are shacked up with one like moi!) you must take advantage of this cheeky discount!

Oh, and as I have a 3G version to use on the go, I researched and found GiffGaff (owned by O2) to be the cheapest pay as you go data providers. They sell 'gigabags' of data for as little as £5 a month and there's no contract. I have only just signed up so can't properly review it, but it was certainly the best deal I could find! Time will tell whether I bought the right amount of data to cope with lots of blog viewing...

So that's a little insight into my iPad/blogging set up! I hope I haven't bored the tits of those of you that just come around here to see my outfit pics!

Have you thought abut buying an iPad? If you already have one, do you have any iPad tips to share with a new iPad mum?

xo


36 comments:

  1. When the iPad first launched, I thought it was the most pointless thing ever, but now, the more I see people with them, the more I really, REALLY want one! Looks like it's super handy for blogging, especially on the go, which would be good for me as I commute to work too (though I'd be a bit nervous of using it on the bus in Liverpool in case someone tried to nick it :S).
    This post has definitely made me want one even more!
    Also, that little camera connector gadget is a brilliant idea - thanks for the heads up on that; if I ever do get my mitts on an iPad I'll definitely get one of those too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh my friend at work has an iPad that I drool over, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to shell out for one myself! I'm handing my MacBook back when I finish my job at the end of the month and I'M DYING INSIDE that I can't afford a new one! They're brilliant for on-the-go though, although I think I'd spend most of my time using it for silly 'face morphing' apps. I'm a child, really! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really want to get an ipad! xo

    vintage-teapot.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just downloaded blogsy! I've done one post off of it and I'm still getting the hang of it. Will definitely get one of those USB ports though, such a good little invention!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an iPad and I absolutely love it but ive always posted my blog posts from my laptop so I shall definitely be investing in the app!

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this post - I remember when you asked twitter about the merits of blogging on the ipad and I was a sceptic. My experience is deleting posts and losing images :( ... also obviously getting photos is a mare ... your little set up literally solves EVERY issue with the ipad and blogging. I'm going to have to invest in this app and finally start using my ipad on my commute. Genius. thanks for sharing these tips hun xx

    Mel
    http://www.mediamarmalade.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I wish I had an iPad! You probably find you don't use masses of data, I read blogs on my phone ALL the time and never go over my 500mb. Although I guess you'd use a lot more if you're watching lots of vlogs...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a really interesting post and as I've only started blogging and will be at home most of the summer I don't really need this but it is really good to know for the future!

    http://studsanddreams.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really useful post gem, it's amazing how few bloggers have reviewed their iPads for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, that connector gadget is so selling the iPad to me! Resist. Temptation. Must.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I REALLY want an iPad, but a big deal was whether or not I could blog from it, it is impossible blogging from an iPhone - I tried once, never again! - and I didn't want a big chunk of my internet usage gone because the iPad doesn't support the right software. However, with you singing the praises of this app, I'm now even more convinced that I want one! I think, depending on how my Uni results go, I may splurge and get myself one! x
    Sirens and Bells

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won one earlier this year, I do love it but I have found blogging to be problematic- too lazy to do the research! Thanks for this post, genuinely! I'll try blogsy. Blogger do have an app but it's beyond crap! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is a great post! I don't have an iPad, or even regularly blog (on a year long blogging break at the mo) but I really like reading posts like this. Probably coz I'm a bit of a tech geek! Anyway, what I was meant to be saying was that if you post things you are passionate about, people will enjoy reading them whether it is what they are directly interested in or not. (And lets face it, who isn't interested in getting an iPad?!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't own an iPad, but as an Apple mum in general, I only have one piece of advice: Buy AppleCare for your iPad as soon as possible.

    The standard plan that all Apple products come with means 90 days of phone support and a year's worth of overall support running concurrently. With AppleCare, both are extended for three years. Trust me on this: You'll be happy to have that on your iPad should anything go wrong after that first year.

    It's £69.00 for your iPad through Apple's online store, if your're curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did say in my post that this one comes with a year's free Apple Care so that's all sorted!

      Delete
  15. Such a helpful post - I have never really considers using my iPad for blogging but I do travel a lot do this could be a perfect remedy! (especially as it may stop me blogging when I am meant to be doing my Uni work...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks soo much! I have one of those little 5 in 1 card readers (the exact same one). I tried writing my first blog post yesterday on my Ipad... went vaguely ok, except all the photos were funny sizes...queue switching on my laptop this morning to edit stuff! I was going to give up writing on my Ipad but these tips will save the day!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/prettylittletitch

    http://prettylittletitch.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought an iPad yesterday (and am reading this post on it in bed - perfect Sunday morning haha!) so I'm dead pleased you wrote this post! I'm just getting to grips with it, and obviously downloading loads of stupid fun apps, but the main reason I got it was for blogging on the go, as I too spend silly amounts of time on trains/buses! I'm definitely going to look into this blogging app! It looks perfect! Sorry to waffle on! Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Certainly need to get blogsy, my iPad blogging has never worked out well! Next up I need photoshop on my iPad!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, also - the girl in the apple shop gave me this great tip about this case you can get with a Bluetooth keyboard in it which makes it wayyy easier to type, so I'm going to get one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mums just got an ipad through her work, and i love it! Your reviews here make me want one even more haha. Dont think i can really afford one though xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post is super helpful, thanks! I'm debating getting an iPad but I wanted to make sure I could blog from it!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I use blogsy on my Ipad for when I can't get to the computer and I find it really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing this...I have been having so many problems with my ipad and posting, very helpful x

    Marsha x
    http://styleofalondontallgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahh this is so USEFUL thank you so much! I really really need an IPAD for when I commute to. And also to fit in with the high flying and stylish technological crowd. IF I ever get one of these delectable lovelies I will have to try this. I hope now we shall expect more blog posts from you now as I know its hard with your amazing job!

    Gemma x

    www.gemmasatire.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this post, its always useful to see what other apps people love.

    My tip to iPad users, that it seems barely anyone realises,, if you have an iPhone you can turn on your iPhone hotspot (settings) and then run your iPad off your phones 3G - great if you have unlimited phone data & saves on buying 3G usage on the iPad. I havent had to use my iPad data since!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have done a perfect and an incredible job. I will certainly dig it and in my view recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this site. But if you want to save something for your self and your family members, use Easy Online Deal http://easyonlinedeal.wordpress.com/ and save your time, energy and your money.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aaah this is a lifesaver! Thanks so much- bookmarked! Love your blog :)

    www.sw-fashion.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. i'm thinking of getting an iPad as i'm moving home and won't have a laptop/computer. would you say you can blog entirely from your iPad? this is what concerns me!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such an awesome post - I had no idea about the connection kit, definitely snapping one up! Blogsy sounds great as well, I have the Wordpress app, but it can get a bit difficult typing all the code in by hand. Love the tips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a useful post! I'm new to blogging and think the 5 in 1 adaptor is amazing!!! Thanks! Check out my new blog and follow me please!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for bringing this app to my attention! Using my IPad to blog was such a chore but now I hope this app will really help!


    www.betsyboat.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've had an iPad for almost 2 years now and have never even tried blogging from it! Such a helpful post x

    josieowen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Our website is an expert in providing best tips related to latest accessories which benefit customers who are looking to buy an glow wraps for iPhone or iPad cases, laptop accessories, and other ipad mini case or iPhone 5 case mobile accessories from a reliable online store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥