6.4.11

Belated Tueday Tip: DIY no sew duct tape purse!

Forgive the delay of this tip. It was all filmed and shot by yesterday evening, but technology got in the way. Including me not having a clue how to use the latest version of iMovie (resulting in tears of frustration) and the final video taking 679 years to upload to Youtube.  Hopefully it's worth the wait (and my tears), as it's a really fun DIY project for yourself or as a gift.

I've made a few duct tape wallets for Alex in the past, and although they're cool, they can be kinda scruffy. So, through a lot of trial and error, I recently devised my own way to make more girly purses using duct tape and pretty fabric. I'm so excited to show you this, especially after the ORDEAL to get it all uploaded!

This DIY can be adjusted to make a clutch bag, makeup bag, business card holder... Just increase or trim down the size accordingly. 



You will need: Fabric, duct tape, stapler, scissors, paper (optional), adhesive Velcro (optional). 

Time taken: 20 minutes

Cost per purse: No more than £1! (Considering setting up an Etsy right now!)

Watch the video tutorial here, or scroll down for step by step pics. 

(Excuse my almost drunken babbling at the start of the vid. Couldn't get my words out after a gruelling day at work!!) Skip to 1:39 to cut to the chase if you'd like to be spared the wittering!


Step 1 - Make a paper template of the size/length you'll want your purse to be. Leave a little extra seam allowance. 


Step 2 - On the reverse of your fabric, start sticking strips of Duct Tape down. Have each new strip overlap the other by about a third until you've done enough. 


Step 3 - Trace round your paper template with a pen (or if you've used black tape, pressing hard with a pen/pencil leaves a visible enough imprint). Follow the lines and snip!


Step 4 - You are here: 


Step 5 - Fold one end over slightly and tape in place as shown. This bit will be the opening of your purse so needs to be hemmed. 


Step 6 - Fold the material as shown, adjusting to however big you want the boy of your purse to be. Staple down the sides, keeping each staple close together and as straight as poss!


Step 7 - You are here: 


Step 8 - Make a little snip in the circled area,  cutting in as far as your row of staples are. (See vid if this is unclear). Repeat on the other side


Step 9 - Turn the purse over and fold the material you've just snipped on each side, securing with duct tape. 


Step 10 - Cover the stapled sides of your purse tightly with duct tape to maximise durability. 


Step 11 - Put said durability to the test and (gently) wrestle that baby inside out! Now decide how far you want the top of the purse to fold over, leaving half a centimetre for hemming it. Trim if required, then hem as shown in steps 5 and 9. 


Step 12 - Fasten the purse with some adhesive velcro, available for about £1.50 per half meter from C&H fabrics (or curtain shops, as I discovered this morning!) Cutting wonky velcro heart shapes, optional! 

Step 13 - Leave plain or decorate as you wish! Gluing on some gems or a button could look cute! 




FIN!

I hope you've enjoyed this tip. If I've forgotten anything or you have any questions, just comment or tweet! Let me know if you decide to make it! It's a proper rainy day DIY so I'm secretly hoping for some April showers...


47 comments:

  1. that is literally amazing! :) you have inspired me to give it a go myself! thank you for the lovely post and excellent tutorial! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty cool! I may have to go and make myself one of these- i have some spare fabric lying around at the moment too :D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I'm not usually an arty person, but you've made these seem totally doable!
    I'd definitely get on the Etsy shop straight away before your readers beat you to it! haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. how CUTE is that? i've been trying to think of something to make my friends from uni as a wee memento of our time at uni because we finish next month. after my dissertation is out the way i am so making 6 of these bad boys! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Lid? Flap?' Haha. This is such a lovely idea, and surprisingly simple. Will be on the hunt for some cute fabric from now on! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to have to try this out! I don't have any spare fabric OR duct tape lying around, but this may be worth the investment...(I meant, duct tape is always useful, right?) hmm, may have to visit the store after work this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is amazing, im definitely trying this!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh Gem, I love it! Defo going to make one of these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so worth the wait - what a great idea! im def gonna have a go at this over my easter break xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting d.i.y! never seen anything like this before, looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is bloody brill, def going to try it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, would be great for business cards xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow. this is great! i'm going to get some of that tape and unless i have some pretty material i'll get some too and make one tomorrow! exciting!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genius!
    Becky
    www.doingitinstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. God I haven't made one of these in years so much fun. Gonna make one again soon so thanks for the tip, then maybe a record bowl-old school DIY is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing, your a freakin genius gem x

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing, your a freakin genius gem x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've literally just given it a go after a riotous search for all the equipment and it turned out so well! Gem you are a crafty genius, thanks for the tip xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is mega cute! I might make one to house my tampons, to stop them spilling all over my bag and falling out onto the floor at inappropriate moments. I like the wee heart-shaped velcro piece! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. THIS IS GENIUS!! + sosososo cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. fucking brilliant. i've never seen anything like this before!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats pretty cool! I saw some super cite strawberry pint fabric a while ago and i think this would be perfect for this tip

    haha, i loved your ramblings at the beggining - if you want to put water in your purse. i actually loled!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Gem, will you be my wife? You're so handy and lovely, haha. Oh god, I need to stop acting like a dirty pervert. I'd have never thought to use duct tape. Very clever missy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You, dear girl are nothing short of genius!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is amazing thank you so much!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. this was an awesome little tip, i saw duct tape purses in a shop once and tried to recreate...needless to say i was less than successful. well done :)

    Would really love to see how you make a male equivilant. would love to make my feller one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is a brill tip! definitely going to try it out xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. How the hell did you ever come up with that? That's amazing! I'm going to definitely give that a go!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a Gem of a tip (lolz, please excuse the pun). I adore your commentary, you crack me up! Can't wait to try this, I have visions of a casual clutch! :) Thanks for sharing lovely.
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm definitely going to try this! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really don't know how you come up with all these tips, most of them I wouldnt ever of thought of myself! Amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. amazing! such a good idea :) thankyou! :)
    nicola xxx
    www.welcome-to-nicola-land.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love making my own stuff! Maybe I'll show you my home made wallet made from mint tins :{D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a great idea, it looks awesome! :) Thanks for the tutorial! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Watching this I felt about 7 again - it's so Art Attack haha!

    Possible career move Gem? :P

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a brilliant DIY. Oh wow, I definitely want to try this at some point, it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a brill tip!!! This is such a good idea for little stocking fillers and stuff at xmas too or other special occasions. Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for the follow :) I love the purse by the way! Such a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm sorry about my last comment, complete misunderstanding, I don't know how to use the internet properly it seems! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  40. i loved this so much i had to do it!! this is pure amazeballsgenius!! i did it and it worked really well i love my new make-up bag! so thanks for another great tuesdaytip.
    check my rendition out haha
    http://amoiuniverse.blogspot.com/2011/04/denim-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. I might make a few alterations but I think I'll be using this to make a Nook 3g cover :D

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is such a cool idea Gem! Love the fabric also. Em x

    http://happyemsays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love you! You're hilarious. And that is the cutest duct tape wallet I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ah-mezin! I only found your blog recently, so have been going back and reading your old posts. Saw this a couple of weeks ago so I bought myself some Cath Kidston fabric and duct tape and just had a go on my lunch break. Fantastic! I had to make a second one for my manager haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great post. I hope you can write more good stuff like this article.

    velcro one wrap

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love these handbag holder! At least a useful accessory. Christian Dior does a beautiful one with Khabarovsk stones.. vet stylish. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥