12.11.10

Five year anniversary weekend!


Annnnnnnd relax....

I have handed in my draft dissertation, and although I have heaps to do for an equally important deadline in 4 weeks time, I am enjoying my freedom today. 'Enjoying my freedom' roughly translates as falling asleep on the sofa for two hours, then loafing about in a baggy plaid shirt and undies eating some Toblerone and watching telly. What can I say? Glamour just comes naturally to me!

So now I don't have a deadline breathing down my neck, I can finally share some pictures from mine and Alex's lovely anniversary weekend in Arundel. We've never been there before but when I was tweeting for ideas of where to go, the gorgeous Victoria suggested Arundel. We stayed at this lovely hotel, where the service and food were superb. My biggest regret was that I didn't get a photo of the cooked breakfast... Beautiful! And the ketchup came in posh little jars like marmalade. Oh, how the other half live! Anyway. Back to the pics!

- Here's our room. I miss it! It had an ipod dock stereo thing too! We didn't really use it, but it was a good touch! We had a great view of the castle (and local charity shop) from the room.



- On our first afternoon there, we mooched around the town and found this old church and graveyard... We wandered about the graveyard in the rain, feeling like walking advertisements for emo but it got a bit freaky when we found a statue of jesus on a wooden cross, so we left!

- The beautiful castle that we missed by 5 days! Apparently tourist season doesn't include November-March. Boo! Why couldn't Alex have asked me out a few days earlier?!



- One of the only nice pictures of us where one of use isn't pulling a stupid face. Shame my boobs had to ruin it by being generally gargantuan. Have cropped them out to the best of my ability to prevent offence.


- This is what I wore to dinner on Friday night. We went to a lovely Italian place, where I proceeded to drop a piece of buttered bread directly down my cleavage. I had to discreetly extract it, and when I did, I was loling so much that I then accidentally dropped it onto the stairs of the restaurant! I spent the rest of the meal watching the stairs out of the corner of my eye in case anyone slipped on the morsel!




- We went for a rainy stroll round town after dinner. It was so peaceful, even on a Friday night. No drunken sluts tottering about in this town! As we're pensioners at heart, we appreciated this peace and quiet very much!


- We went for a day charity shopping in Chichester and Bognor. Purchases will be revealed in another blog post!


- What I wore (This is a bobble hat, but you can't see the bobble! I look a bit like a bank robber).


- Alex's cute badge I got him from my uni library!


- Dreamy creepers at a vintage shop in Chich. Shame about the £75 price tag! Ridiculous.


- I loved this charity shop suitcase!



- Interesting sales approach! I bought 5.


- On Saturday night, we went for dinner at The Bay Tree, where we bought a £22 steak each! Very extravagant but too delicious for words! Needless to say, we shared dessert. It was the most beautiful sticky toffee pudding. We were bickering over whether to have custard (yay) or ice cream (nay) with it, so the waitress brought both for us! The food and service was amazing here, I definitely recommend it!

It wouldn't be right if I didn't do something cringe, so you'll be pleased to know I was doing a (quiet) impression of crazy dog man, pretending that was how I was going to eat dessert, the exact second the waitress appeared with said dessert at the table. God knows what must she have thought when she saw me leant across the table in Alex's face, quietly (but insanely) barking in my boyfriend's face! (We were in a quiet corner, btw, I don't just behave like a freak in front of a restaurant of people!) Alex was crying with laughter. I was dying inside!


Another post-dinner wander led us to the beautiful Cathedral.



- Some bits from an amazing independent shop we found called Sparks Yard, which is full of the knick knacks you buy the person that has everything (Mac App fridge magnets, anyone?). I do love those kind of shops, but they annoy Alex a bit! It also had loads of american candy that wasn't a rip off, so I stocked up on Big Red cinnamon gum. We bought some coffee and chocolate cake in the cafe and the guy forgot to charge us for the cake, and when I told him (what an honest citizen) he let us off anyway. Bless him!






On the way home, we stopped off in Brighton for some Krispy Kremes and a wander. And then it was home time :(

As you can tell from the pics, it wasn't the most 'eventful' weekend, but we're not very eventful people! It was lovely just to explore a little old town and relax. And dream about when we have enough money to have a nice house in a nice town. We had SUCH a giggle, which reminded me why we've lasted five years! Lolz 4 lyf.

I'm trying to convince Alex to come on another weekend away for our 5 year 1 month anniversary, but let's just say it's a work in progress!

Thanks for all of your lovely happy anniversary comments, by the way! We loved them :)

48 comments:

  1. It looks like the perfect way to celebrate an anniversary to me!
    I personally loved the robbers outfit! :P

    Congrats again

    Danni
    xxx

    p.s. that's the first time I've ever seen the freaky dog man- scarred for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the perfect little weekend away! I'm glad you had such a great time. My boy and I are 'pensioners at heart' too, so this would be right up our alley!

    Oh wow, the crazy barking man thing made me laugh out loud. And I love your outfits!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwh looks like you had a beautiful time! You seem like a really laid back, happy couple who laugh alot. Bossness. :)

    Happy Belated Anny!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaw cute! That's exactly the stuff we'd get up to too! Nice quiet time together :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ee my best friend lived in Chi for 3 years, it's such a nice place, they do 2-4-1 cocktails in a bar under the cathedral which is HEAV! Glad you had a good weekend away :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. yous are the most perfect couple! lovely photos, chi looks nice! btw i've done a post on forever 21:D i saw your post a while back! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely weekend, I love your dress you look fab x

    Kittenish Behaviour Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hotel is lush. I think the bathroom sink is the coolest thing ever.

    Love your lippy and love your second outfit the mostest. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww glad you had a great weekend. I too am a pensioner at heart and a quiet mooch around a beautiful old town is my idea of a perfect getaway. You look gorgeous in the pics and made me chuckle with your tale of barking in your boyfs face! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know the whole 'enjoying the freedom' look all too well. The hotel room sounds/looks lovely! So gutting you didn't get to see the castle. I'm all for things like castles/cathedrals etc. You look beautiful as ever by the way Gem (: Those creepers are bloody beautiful - shame the price tag wasn't. Ugh, I want some steak after reading this post. Wish I could've witnessed the crazy dog man moment! I'm glad you had a nice time. This post has made me so excited for my anniversary jaunt to London in January!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your weekend looked magical! I love escaping with my man for a few days!

    Georgie
    xx

    http://styleprincessdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you had the perfect weekend! Am very jealous and mine currently just involve work and writing. Feeling the sad single at the moment.

    R x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, looks like you had a lovely time. I laughed at the bit when you said you and Alex are like old pensioners... Me and my boyfriend are exactly the same! Can't wait to see your charity shop finds x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can so feel the love! Reading this made me smile, loads! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Gem, you do crack me up. I just cackled reading about you barking in Alex's face. It's exactly the kind of ridiculous thing I'd do, and get caught doing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a surprising amount of us are secret old ladies. I like few things more than exploring little towns and cities, visiting castles and cathedrals and moseying around the shops. So this whole post fills me with joy and perhaps a little bit of envy too. Glad you had a lovely time though :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect weekend, love being secretly old!!
    Also you are so funny and we love your blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. congratulations on your anniversary and you look gorgeous! you two seem so happy together!
    AND MARSHMALLOW FLUFF IS JUST TE BEST THING EVER!!!!
    xxxxxxxx

    www.suyinsays-suyinloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks so perfect! It reminds me a little bit of when I visited Tunbridge Wells, such a lovely, sleepy town!

    Glad you had a lovely time and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooohhhh so lovely ^^
    I was gonna write "it seems that you had a good time", but its pretty obvious that obviously you had a Legen.....wait for it.... DARY time. hehe
    xoxoxo

    http://shinigami-u-openingmymind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. That hotel looks awesome! I'm glad you had a great time. Loving the cookie cutters and treacle pudding with custard is the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. aw this is gorgeous, lovely photos :) you made me look at the hotel as its so beautiful! I'm trying to find a place to go for my Birthday with the boy
    you look lovely in the photos
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely part of the country - spent many childhood summers in Steyning. Glad you guys had a fab anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. my nan used to live in arundel, so i spent half my childhood there, it's such a beautiful place, so peaceful. the castle is amazing, definitley worth a visit when it opens again.
    somehow-someday.blogspot.comx
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah ha this is amazing! I live in Chichester and have done my whole 21 years (except whilst off jaunting about Bournemouth for uni)! Spent half my child hood in Arundel it is beautiful I do agree. If it was nicer weather you can go rowing in the massive lake there too which is fun! I'm glad you had a such a lovely anniversary :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tres jealous of your lovely weekend away! Me and my boyf didn't do anything for our 5 year anniversary, rubbish!
    The crazy dog man video is really scary, I feel bad for his wife!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah you were only minutes from me! Chichester is my local city. Did you manage to find anything in the charity shops? You must go back to Arundel castle it's great, so beautiful.

    It sounds like you had my kind of weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how you always write about your embarassing moments, it makes me giggle (and feel better about doing the same on my own blog, perhaps unintentionally). The bread in cleavage bit was particularly funny.
    It looks like you had an amazing weekend. It's mine and my boyfriend's 2 year anniversary in a month or so, I doubt whether we will do anything this lovely, although that might be because we both have 4000 word essays due in 2 days before... bit like you with your diss really!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a sweet post and so funny!
    i can't tell you how many "cleavage" incidents i too have that just boggle me. i don't understand it, but it's humorous!
    looks like you had a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesomness. It sounds just lovely and a bit of peace and quiet can be just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  31. twinnie! well done for handing in your draft - I totally know how it feels dude. Your topic title sounds epic! :) proud of you for getting your head down and cracking on with it. its tough stuff, you are going to feel absolutely amazing once its done. I promise you (apart from graduating and getting that bloody bit of paper) it is the most epic feeling ever!

    weekend away with your boy looks devine :) youre so pretty gem, you look really happy together and im smiling looking at all these lovely pics <3 auw! have a great weekend. ohh and dropping food down yer cleavage is more fun in the cinema... when you only realise when you get home where that popcorn ended up being lodged! aaaaahhh! lawl :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gem, this post is so lovely :)

    I love reading more 'life' posts. It's nice to see what you got upto on your anniversary. And five years! Wowee! Congratulations :)

    That room looks amazing!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like a lovely weekend! Im off to leeds monday for a few days with my man to celebrate nothing but have a time out and see an awesome band!

    i especially enjoyed your dog man story, actually made me lol!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. aw this is a great post! and chichester is a lovely place. great charity shops! you should spend a weekend in Brighton!!, that fluff stuff is the best invention i've ever seen. I ate a whole pot once x

    ReplyDelete
  35. aw this is a great post! and chichester is a lovely place. great charity shops! you should spend a weekend in Brighton!!, that fluff stuff is the best invention i've ever seen. I ate a whole pot once x

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow, sounds like the perfect way to celebrate x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sooo lovely! Belated happy anniversary wishes, here's to many more happy years ahead!

    That crazy dog man is hilarious, I actually saw it when it first broadcast on the news here in Aus, I don't think the news has ever made me laugh so hard I cried before that!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  38. I was laughing out loud at your description of getting busted doing the crazy barking man, and that was before I had even seen the video. That was amazing!

    Me and my boyfriend went to Prague this weekend and acted like pensioners, I'm glad to hear it's not just us.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks like you guys had a lovely weekend together xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. It looks so lovely there and you and Alex are gorgeous together happy to hear you had such a nice time! :D xx

    http://gingerecstasy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG!! That vid is funny enough but then I get this vision of you doing it and the whole situation! ha haha.. love IT!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. hahaha at the boob-bread story and the crazy dog man one!

    Oh creepers, how I love you but I just cannot afford you. Santa, are you listening?

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm so jealous, that sounds like the kind of weekend away me and my boyfriend would love - we're OAPs before our time too! You're both gorgeous and eye-wateringly cute together :')

    ReplyDelete
  44. It looks like you had a lovely weekend! I went to Arundel for the day back in March with my fiance (& we missed Castle season too, grrr!) and we loved it! Totally get what you mean about getting old though-- I love how quaint it was.

    And Sparks Yard is amazing! I could have bought all the kitchen bits & bobs.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  45. congrts on ur 5yr anniv!! fantastic!! :DD n u look so pretty n gorgeous!! :D the dress is beautiful,,:))

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  46. The spotty top outfit is fab. Happy anniversary! x

    ReplyDelete
  47. I know I am 3 years late on this post.. however it came up on the post recommendation bit and I saw you went to arundel which is near where I live and got excited!!!
    Glad it was nice for you. Although, you should give bognor a miss next time haha. Not nice there. I should know, it's my local town!! EEEEEkkk xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥