7.9.10

Tuesday Tip: The squeezy tube nip & tuck!


It comes to us all. The death rattle that no amount of vigorous shaking of the hand cream tube can prevent. The sound that tells us it's time to buy a new tube of hand cream. Well, most of us.

Personally, I'm more of the 'waste not, want not' kind of gal. So this week's tip is good for those of you that want to prolong the life of your hand cream/other squeezy-tubed product. The design of this type of packaging means we are constantly deprived of about 10% of the product we've spent our hard-earned money on. I worked with a lady in a hotel once and she showed me this little gem...

When you hear the death rattle, do NOT rush out and buy more product. Take the following three steps!

♥ Snip off the top 3rd of the bottle.

♥ Scoop the leftover product out of the bit you've just snipped off and put it into the body of the tube. Take a look at how much product is still in the tube!

♥ The top that you've snipped off now becomes your makeshift lid. Bend the tube slightly so you can pop the new lid on.





Et voila! You now have a way of using the rest of your product AND preventing it from drying out by using the top part as a lid. In my experience this is sturdy enough to carry in an inside pocket of your handbag, but probably won't withstand life in the main part of your handbag (if your bag is as hazardously crammed as mine). Or if you want to play safe, keep your nipped and tucked tube on your bedside table/desk.

Here's a step by step video for clarification! And because I have too much time on my hands (I'm a football widow, tonight)!



@Louise2208 on my Twitter has just pointed out that this works really well with expensive foundation. She got another fortnight out of hers! Good shout, Louise!

FIN!

24 comments:

  1. Awesome, gonna try that one :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha loved this postie,the beginning sentences got me hooked:D
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh, it's so true - there's always loads of product left when you cut the top off a squeezy tube! Loved the video - it reminded me of the Handy Men from that kids TV show, Zap!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. that video was so cute, i'm gonna go cut up my squeezy tubes now so i stop buying new ones!
    ah franki's right, little blast from the past there!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so simple yet so clever! Thanks for posting this :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top tip, I always do this mine as I also resent spending money on these things especially if I'm skint!

    R x

    Therobyndiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent tip...i always cut the top of to get the excess creams out but i never thought to use the cut bit as a lid. one step ahead of me!
    margief
    x
    www.margieheartsclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top tip, when I worked for an art shop we used to sell these things called 'paint saver keys' which are basically clips which squeeze paint further down the tube (a bit like when you roll a toothpaste tube), but this is obv the cheaper and more cheerful method, thanks! :) jazzy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Classic tip - I always do this, you use up ALL your product this way! Glad you've brought it to the masses! x♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so ace! I'm going to do this with everything! lol
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea to use the top part as a lid! I always cut the tube open but this is a really good idea! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this is a good one! Thanks for sharing doll :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done this before, but I never thought about using the cut off part as a lid! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. my mum always does this with her e45 cream. but because the plastic is too thick to cut through she heats up a sharp knife on the hob to cut and melt through it. dangerous but works haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this tip and i've always done it on all sorts of bottles; foundation, hand cream, facial scrubs and hair products. it really does help as you get a lot more out of your product.

    awaywiththefairiesx.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will try that. I am sick of the waste of product that goes on in my bathroom.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, good meeting you on Monday at the No7 event. And good tips on getting the most from your cream! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's awesome! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a brilliant idea :) I am one of these girls that just squeeze and squeeze and hope something will come out eventually. I never really thought of doing this. Thank you for giving me the idea :)
    I have been looking at a few of your posts, your blog is really interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ellie-jay.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Also, if you lose the lid, use a bobby pit across the top!

    ReplyDelete
  21. remembered this from ages ago and totally just googled it to do it for my moisturizer haa xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just wanted to say that this is probably one of the most useful tips ever. I never realised how much product I was throwing away until I tried this. Now I do it with all my products in this type of packaging.
    Thanks Gem x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥